Cannabis is legal in Washington DC but there’s no dispensaries like you’d find in Denver, Seattle, or Los Angeles. When the city passed Initiative 71, a rider was added to the federal spending budget that prevents the District from setting up a similar retail sales program. No worries, baby! I71 still allows adults to possess, grow, and share weed, so in the absence of licensed businesses, a private market of marijuana gifts bloomed.
Weed Delivery & Pick-Up Services
There may be health risks associated with using marijuana and its derivatives! I can not guarantee the safety of any particular gift or product today. You use the information provided here at your own risk!
- Canamelo: Review | Photos | Website
- Green Label Grinders: Review | Photos | Website
- Baked DC: Review | Photos | Website
- Heady Club DC: Photos | Website
- District Chiefer: Photos | Website
- Dope City: Review | Photos | Website
- Hidden Leaf DC: Review | Photos | Website
- Joint Delivery Co: Review | Photos | Website
- Green Kings DC: Review | Photos | Website
- DC TeaPad: Review | Photos | Website
- Bagged Buds: Review | Photos | Website
Just pick a place they can deliver to you, like your residence, hotel, or a nearby cafe, and plan to wait for an hour, two tops- they’ll let you know how long it will be when you order. Some have convenient appointment-setting features (a real time-saver if you can plan in advance) while others offer pick-up (or meet-ups) if that’s more conducive to your hectic, American Psycho/House of Cards/Kardashian lifestyle.
How I71 Works
In Washington DC, thanks to Initiative 71, adults 21+ are allowed to:
- Grow up to 6 marijuana plants, only 3 of which may be mature (“flowering”) at a time
- Possess up to two ounces in public
- share up to one ounce with another adult 21+
- But you can’t sell it
- And you can’t smoke it in public, either; if you’re caught it’s a $25 fine.
- (You can actually go down to the station and get your weed back if you’re caught smoking in public with less than two ounces. Strange days, indeed.)
- This only applies on DC-owned land. Cannabis is still federally illegal and around 30% of DC is federal property, like National Parks & government buildings (map) but also federally-subsidized housing
So the way many marijuana delivery services get around the restriction on sales is to sell something else, like tee-shirts, hats, juices, digital art, lunchboxes, all kinds of stuff, then give you marijuana as a free thank you gift. You do not have to be a resident and you don’t need a medical card!
Still have questions? Don’t deny it! I can sense your yearning. Here’s the DC Weed Delivery FAQ page.
Please note I do not give legal advice! If you have those kinds of questions, I recommend you talk to Kinner & McGowan. They’re our local experts.
FYI, there are few other sites out there that can help you find buds, but I can’t vouch for the reliability or quality of anyone not on this site. Should you wish to step off the Gentleman’s lighted path, you can check out 420dc.com, LeafedIn.org, WheresWeed DC, and Marijuanas.org. Be careful with anyone that asks you to pay using an app or Bitcoin or anything you can’t reverse in advance as a First Time Customer! Rip-offs are rare but it is the Wild West out there, pilgrim.
DC’s medical marijuana program started accepting patients for any condition whatsoever thanks to emergency legislation enacted in 2015. They started accepting out-of-state medical cards in 2018. Your Gentleman, naturally, has some opinions:
- Which DC Dispensary Do I Choose?
- Capital City Care Chocolope Flowers
- Abatin Wellness Sour Grapes Flowers
- Liberty Master Kush Rosin
- Alternative Solutions Rosin
- Abatin Wellness Vape Cartridge
- Phyto Pineberry Punch Vape Cartridge
Maryland’s medical program is going strong after Year One- visit my Ultimate Guide to Marijuana in Maryland for more info! Want more info on getting your medical marijuana card in DC, Maryland, or Virginia? Why, I’ve got a page just for you, my fine friend, step right this way. More reviews? Oh, Beauregard, you flatter me! Right here under the Medical tag.
Grow Your Own
If you consume a lot of cannabis, growing your own is definitely a consideration. A single adult can grow up to 6 plants in Washington DC, only 3 of which can be mature at once (which I presume to mean ‘flowering’). Here’s the rules on growing your own at home. If you do choose to grow, the local head shops and hydroponic shops are a great place to find seeds, sometimes even clones. Check out DC Seed Exchange to find packs from the hottest new micro-breeders!
Marijuana Pop-Up Events
You probably shouldn’t attend these unless you like living dangerously because DC’s pop-up events have been getting raided since 12/23/17 as reported here and there’s been a Social Use Ban in place pretty much since I71 kicked off. But if you’re going to anyway, you incorrigible little scamp, check out 420dc.com, they keep a listing. Here’s the FAQ I wrote about what you can expect at these marijuana pop-up events. You can find my event brand reviews under the Pop-Up tag.
CBD Shipped to Your Door!
Have you heard about the benefits of a sexy little cannabinoid called CBD and want to try it out yourself? There’s brick and mortar shops opening up all over the city since the last Farm Bill legalized hemp as well as a bazillion online companies that’ll ship to you anywhere in the US.
I really like District Hemp here locally- you can find my reviews of their products here and here. They ship anywhere in the US and they’ve got store locations in DC, Leesburg, and Manassas! Here’s their website.
Get Outta Town!
The Gentleman is also an avid ganja tourist. You can find marijuana reviews here of products I picked up from a Dispensary while traveling in Denver, Seattle, Las Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and adding more all the time, God bless America.
The Gentleman provides his unique perspective on breaking marijuana news in DC, MD, and VA along with the latest weed gifts and cannabis products in our free weekly newsletter. Sign up right here!