Cannabis is legal in Washington DC but there’s no dispensaries like you’d find in Denver, Seattle, or Los Angeles. When the city passed Initiative 71, a rider was added to the federal spending budget that prevents the District from setting up a similar retail sales program. No worries, baby! I71 still allows adults to possess, grow, and share weed, so in the absence of licensed businesses, a private market of marijuana gifts bloomed to help you get weed in DC. Here, let me show you around!
I71 Weed Gifting Services
- Gifted Curators: Menu | Photos | Review | Deals | 202-684-9915 | Map
- Peace In the Air: Menu | Photos | Review | Deals | 202-905-2330 | Map
- Exotic Organics: Menu | Photos | Review | Website | 202-817-6725
- Lucky Chuckie: Menu | Photos | Review | Website | Deals | 202-424-8367
- Bagged Buds: Menu | Photos | Review | Website | Deals | 202-505-7619
- Royale Dankness: Menu | Review | Website | 202-931-8409
- Baked DC: Menu | Photos | Review | Website | 202-230-2463
- Green Kings: Website | Photos | Review | Deals | 202-570-4850
- Select Co-Op: Menu | Photos | Review | Deals | Website | 202-459-1401 | Interview
- Canamelo: Website | Photos | Review | Deals | 202-274-0298
- Athena’s Gifts: Menu | Photos | Website | 202-749-0042
- Lifted: Menu | Photos | Review | Website | 202-332-8495
- Puff Kings: Website | Photos | Review | Deals | 202-792-9891
- District Connect: Menu | Photos | Review | Website | 202-568-5930
- DC TeaPad: Website | Photos | Review | Deals | 213-314-0353
- District Chiefer: Menu | 202-596-7197
- Natural Vibes: Website | 202-246-6013
- Heady Club: Menu | Photos | Review | Website | Deals | 202-460-8698
- Exotic Blooms: Menu | Photos | Review | Website | Deals | 202-317-9158
- Hidden Leaf: Menu | Photos | Review | Deals | Website | 202-750-3194
Five Ways to Get Weed in DC
There are five ways to get weed in DC that don’t require a medical marijuana card (if you don’t include growing it yourself). You don’t need to be a DC resident, either! Some brands may offer more than one of these options. I’ve sorted my favorite brands by type and gift availability on the Menu Directory to help you find what you’re looking for fast!
But if you’re like me and nothing but the best marijuana will do, then check out my monthly Reviews instead! Every gift featured is available at the time of posting and has personally been inspected and approved for quality by yours truly.
Storefronts are the closest you’ll get to a dispensary experience without a medical card in DC. These typically do not require an appointment, so you may encounter a line, but you’ll have time to peruse the gift display and ask questions. Often hosted inside a smoke shop or CBD store, but there are exceptions. Here’s a few of my faves:
- Peace In the Air | Deals | 2118 18th St NW Washington DC 20009
- Gifted Curators | Deals | 2469 18th St NW Washington DC 20009
- Lifted | 2622 Georgia Ave NW Washington DC 20001
- Spaced Out | Deals | 3114 Mt Pleasant St NW Washington DC 20010
- VIP Clientele | 3551 Georgia Ave NW Washington DC 20010
A Pick-Up is when you meet the brand at a private indoor location, like a hotel room, apartment, or AirBNB, and typically requires an appointment. It’s similar to a storefront otherwise, as you’ll have time to ask questions and check out their selection of cannabis gifts before choosing what you want. 1-2 hours in advance should be enough time to secure an appointment, but setting your appointment the day before is a good idea, especially if you’re tight on time. FYI, most of these have moved to Curbside Pick-Up during the ongoing pandemic. Here’s a few of my favorites:
- Lucky Chuckie | Deals
- Green Kings | Deals
- Puff Kings | Deals
- Baked DC
- DC TeaPad | Deals
- find more on the Directory page!
Delivery brands send your gift to a location of your choice. In my experience, the average time is between 1 and 2 hours, so make sure you’re going to be in one place for at least two hours if you go with delivery- or set an appointment in advance the day before! Also note that they cannot deliver to federal property, like the National Mall. Here’s a few of my favorites:
- Exotic Organics
- Bagged Buds | Deals
- Natural Vibes
- Select Co-Op | Deals
- Athena’s Gifts
- find more on the Directory page!
Meet-Ups are like a delivery, but the brand tells you the location, which will usually be in front of a coffee shop or restaurant. This is great for visitors unfamiliar with the city, but you could also just ask a regular Delivery brand to suggest a place to meet. I’m sure most will accommodate that sort of request. Since they’re functionally the same as Delivery, I have included them in that category. Popular with brands based on Instagram and other social media sites.
Pop-Ups, otherwise known as Events, typically have several brands with table displays of weed gifts set up inside a bar, restaurant, or nightclub. Their frequency has waned as police have raided many such events in recent years. FYI, there’s been a Social Use Ban that went into effect, like, a month after I71 kicked off. Here’s the FAQ I wrote about what you can expect at these marijuana pop-up events.
Getting Weed in DC- Coronavirus Update!
During the ongoing pandemic, some Pick-Ups and Storefronts are offering curbside pick-up instead of letting people inside. Curbside Pick-Up is functionally the same as Meet-Ups, above.
How Do I Get Shrooms in DC?
The District of Columbia just passed Initiative 81 which makes entheogenic plants like psilocybin (magic mushrooms) and ayahuasca the lowest priority for law enforcement. It does not decriminalize/legalize these substances, so we won’t list sources here. It’s fairly easy to find for those inclined to try these alternative therapies. I’ve been having good results micro-dosing, personally.
Where Can I Smoke Weed in DC?
You’ve successfully got weed in DC, congrats! Now, where do you smoke it? Legally, you’re not allowed to smoke weed in public. The fine is pretty small ($25) so long as you’re on DC-owned land and not federal land (like the National Mall). But if you’re like me and would rather avoid any potential hassles with Johnny Law on your visit, here’s a few options to consider:
Lucky Chuckie Tours will pick you up and drive you around the Nation’s Capital while you enjoy their signature, flower-infused treats. Book them for a romantic evening with your special someone around the city, the National Harbor, or their special destination of the month! You can book online or call 202-425-3280.
Visit Lifted at 2622 Georgia Ave NW and rent time in their Hot Box, a private lounge next to their in-house cafe of infused treats. No weed? No problem! Lifted’s I71 storefront is right across the hall. You can book your appointment (in 15 or 30 minute increments) in advance online if you’re on a tight schedule!
Planning a longer visit and want a place to stay where smoking weed is explicitly allowed? Go on to AirBNB, then filter by House Rules -> Smoking Allowed. You’ll find several properties from single rooms to entire houses that will welcome traveling stoners with open arms and, in some cases, fat doobies.
What is Initiative 71?
In Washington DC, thanks to Initiative 71, adults 21+ are allowed to:
- Grow up to 6 marijuana plants, only 3 of which may be mature (“flowering”) at a time
- Possess up to two ounces in public
- share up to one ounce with another adult 21+
- But you can’t sell it
- And you can’t smoke it in public, either; if you’re caught it’s a $25 fine.
- (You can actually go down to the station and get your weed back if you’re caught smoking in public with less than two ounces. Strange days, indeed.)
- This only applies on land that DC owns. Cannabis is still federally illegal and around 30% of the District is federal property, like National Parks & government buildings (map) but also federally-subsidized housing
So the way many I71 marijuana-gifting services get around the restriction on sales is to sell something else, like tee-shirts, hats, juices, digital art, lunchboxes, all kinds of stuff, then give you a bag of buds as a free thank you gift. You do not have to be a resident and you don’t need a medical card! Still have questions? Here’s the DC Weed Delivery FAQ page.
FYI, there are few other sites out there that can help you find buds, but I can’t vouch for the reliability or quality of anyone not on this site. Should you wish to step off the Gentleman’s lighted path, you can check out 420dc.com, LeafedIn.org, WheresWeed DC, and Marijuanas.org. Be careful with anyone that asks you to pay using an app or Bitcoin or anything you can’t reverse in advance as a First Time Customer! Rip-offs are rare but it is the Wild West out there, pilgrim.
How to Get Medical Weed in DC
Want to get your hands on lab-tested products? DC’s medical marijuana program started accepting patients for any condition whatsoever thanks to emergency legislation enacted in 2015. They started accepting out-of-state medical cards in 2018 and now includes patients from both Maryland and Virginia. Your Gentleman, naturally, has some opinions:
- Which DC Dispensary Do I Choose?
- Capital City Care Chocolope Flowers
- Abatin Wellness Sour Grapes Flowers
- Liberty Master Kush Rosin
- Alternative Solutions Rosin
- Abatin Wellness Vape Cartridge
- Phyto Pineberry Punch Vape Cartridge
Maryland’s medical program has been going strong- visit my Ultimate Guide to Marijuana in Maryland for more info! Want more info on getting your medical marijuana card in DC, Maryland, or Virginia? Why, I’ve got a page just for you, my fine friend, step right this way. More reviews? Oh, Beauregard, you flatter me! Right here under the Medical tag.
Grow Your Own Weed in DC
If you consume a lot of cannabis, growing your own is definitely a consideration. A single adult can grow up to 6 plants in Washington DC, only 3 of which can be mature at once (which I presume to mean ‘flowering’). Here’s the rules on growing your own at home. If you do choose to grow, the local head shops and hydroponic shops are a great place to find seeds, sometimes even clones. Check out DC Seed Exchange to find packs from the hottest new micro-breeders!
CBD Shipped to Your Door!
Have you heard about the benefits of a sexy little cannabinoid called CBD and want to try it out yourself? There’s brick and mortar shops opening up all over the city since the last Farm Bill legalized hemp as well as a bazillion online companies that’ll ship to you anywhere in the US.
I really like District Hemp here locally- you can find my reviews of their products here and here. They ship anywhere in the US and they’ve got store locations in DC, Leesburg, and Manassas! Here’s their website.
Get Outta Town!
The Gentleman is also an avid ganja tourist. You can find marijuana reviews here of products I picked up from a Dispensary while traveling in Denver, Seattle, Las Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and adding more all the time, God bless America.